What I Believe In

Monday, November 1, 2010

The Chore called Ironing

If there's one household chore I hate, it's ironing clothes.



In fact, yes - I do hate that task. It takes me almost 10-15 minutes just to iron a pair of pants or long-sleeved collared shirts, and 1-2 minutes for even a handkerchief! Just imagine how much time I waste on a whole pile of it! But is it really a waste? (I mean, heck - I can still look good with wrinkled clothes...)


For most people (like me), ironing is all about looks. But some people do know better: how we look can say a lot about us. It can reflect our discipline, our hygiene, even our values. Likewise, ironing clothes somehow prepares us for the day ahead. It sets us on a mood of formality - an activity serious enough for us to set aside valuable time just to bother about "looks".

It somewhat reminds me about the Old Testament - how God adamantly ironed out the nation of Israel. He would press down on the moral wrinkles of each generation... and for what? They still kept sinning. And even now, we all still fail and sin. But that wasn't the point why God insisted on holiness and righteousness on Israel or us. The point was Jesus Christ, whose simple clothes was wrinkled, blood-soaked, and torn for you and me.

I still hate ironing clothes. I don't really care about looks - because frankly, I don't believe it matters.

And that's my life's little irony. What's yours?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ron!

    I'm the First Follower
    and the First to write a Comment haha!


    Good Job sa iyong Blog! Galing nang iyong penmanship pare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jonjon! I'm following Sir Mighty's tip on doing a series... hope to have it up soon :D

    ReplyDelete